Pages

Monday, July 6, 2015

Welcome to Hogwarts

Do you ever have one of those days where you just can't believe what is happening around you? Maybe you're the only sober person at a party, or maybe you're watching a really suspenseful TV show. Similarly, Sunday afternoon was one of those days for me. (Ha!) I first stepped foot onto Oxford's campus around 1:30pm on Sunday afternoon. Driving into the city itself was a magical experience. Everything is picturesque. Seriously, everything. Even the most mundane shops seem so extravagant and cultured.  Luckily we were having trouble finding parking, so I got to look out the car window in awe for a bit longer. After finding parking Jay, Kayla, Riley and I began walking in the general direction of my college, Exeter.

Within my first five minutes of walking I stumbled on a cobblestone and broke my black cat sandals. These sandals are one of my most favorite pairs of shoes. They are black patent leather sandals with an ornate gold and diamond encrusted leopard on them. I know they sound horribly tacky by that description, but I swear they're fabulous. These black cat sandals are the only pair of black sandals I brought with me on this trip and I would venture to say around 75% of the clothes I packed are either black or require black shoes... I tried to remain positive and not take it as an omen that I was doomed to fail.

We walked to Turl Street, where my college is located. The street wasn't that long and we were looking for a sign or building designated as Exeter College. We ended up having to walk the street up and down to find it, as it wasn't marked at all. The gate is a large ornate wooden door, but it has no description or markings upon it except for the school crest, which I did not know at the time. When opened this door lead into a small open air corridor. Inside there is a Porter's Lodge that has someone on site 24 hours a day. They answer questions, give you directions, take phone messages and postal packages for you, essentially a butler or secretary for all the students. Once inside the gates there is a courtyard and the college surrounds you.

Here's a map for reference

Oxford University is actually a federation of sorts. There are 36 different colleges. Each college operates independently from the others. You choose a school and spend all four years within the school. You live there, eat there, you may take some classes there, attend extra curricular activities, etc. Each college has it's own crest, traditions, style, and programs. You do not choose a school based upon your major, because schools offer multiple majors and often times several schools may offer the same degree. For example you may study history at Exeter College or at another college at Oxford. Both degrees are of equal weight and value. Initially this idea was so foreign to me I had trouble comprehending it. It is so different from university in America. The only things I believe could be comparable to it would be a sorority that has a house or hall together or the houses in Harry Potter. #HufflepuffPride (More on HP in a later post!!) So pictured above is my specific college. There are 36 other colleges just as large, if not more so. Exeter College is the fourth oldest school at Oxford. It was established in 1314 at it's present site! That means I am currently living in a building that is 701 years old! Thankfully modern conveniences, such as indoor plumbing, wifi, and a bed have been installed within the last 700 years.

Main Entrance Tower from the Front Quad. I took this picture today I swear. The camera has a mind of its own.

One of the entrances into Exeter College


Looking at the map above my room is in staircase 2, located just in front of the #2 on the map. I am room number 7, which is all the way on the top floor, up a steep spiral staircase of four flights of wooden stairs. Needless to say I will have buns of steel by the time I leave this place. The way my dorm room is positioned I have two windows. One faces out to Turl St and the other into the Front Quad. Since I am on the top floor I keep a nice breeze flowing through my room, which is nice because there is no air conditioning in most places in the United Kingdom. Interestingly, my dorm room is actually two rooms, a common area and a bedroom, both of which are privately my own. I do share a bathroom and a shower with other folks in the program. I will post pictures and more on my dorm room in a later post.

View from my living room window. Hall is on the right.

View from my living room window. Chapel is on the left.


After arriving around 1:30pm I spent the next several hours unpacking my suitcase and reading the necessary paperwork for my program. My first interaction with my tutors and other students in my program was at a orientation meeting at 6pm. Tutors are essentially professors. Tutor is the British term I suppose. The orientation was very brief. Directly afterward was a reception in the Fellows Garden (see map). The students, tutors, and administration staff mingled together meeting one another, similar to a cocktail hour. We were served champagne. It was quite an elegant experience. A student assistant, Richard, took us up a small path to a higher view point where we were able to see other colleges, libraries, and churches on campus.

In front of the Radcliffe Camera (a library) and the University Church of St Mary

After mingling at the reception for a while, we proceeded to the Hall for the formal opening dinner. Walking into the Hall was the most magical moment of my life to date. It is like stepping back into time into another world. There are long tables in the center for the students and a raised head table at the front of the room for the tutors and staff. The students entered first and sat to await the entrance of the tutors. When the doors opened we were required to stand as the tutors filed in the room. They were dressed in their black academic gowns. (Total Harry Potter!!) There are some visiting tutors from Cambridge and their robes look slightly different I've been told. I couldn't see a difference, perhaps the untrained eye needs a telescope. Cambridge is Oxford's rival school so the student assistant that told me about the differences in robes made a fuss about it.

Entrance to the Hall
Isn't it magical?! Only thing missing is the Enchanted Ceiling.

View down the center


A view of the side of the Hall


 It was an extremely formal dinner with each seat having a full place setting. I'm talking 8 different utensils, three different glasses, and four different plates. Thank God for cotillion. (Thanks Mom!) The above pictures were taken before lunch, so you can't see the formal place settings. I didn't want to be that American tourist that whipped out my camera at formal dinner instead of indulging in scholarly conversation. We're actually not allowed to have our phones out at dinner. It is extremely frowned upon and I haven't seen anyone do it yet. It is a admirable practice and I wish more people in America weren't as addicted to their phones, myself included.

Our first course was a soup, followed by a lime sorbet. With the first course came a glass of white wine. Also, we were only served sparkling water, no still water in sight. I believe this is a more common practice in Europe than in America. However, this sparkling water was not as terrible as those in America. It was only slightly carbonated. Next our main course was delivered. It was a dish of chicken, potatoes, and two vegetables that I couldn't identify. One had a very starchy or cellulose structure to it and the other was a leafy green. Regardless of what these vegetables are called, they were enjoyable along with the rest of the meal. With the main course we were served a glass of red wine. I'm not a fan of red wine, but honestly when taken with a meal, it wasn't as horrible as I remembered it to be. Of course, I drank the whole glass. Next a dessert of raspberry cake, ice cream, and raspberries was delivered.  Finally, coffee and mints were offered. The mints were wrapped in the crest of Exeter College. During coffee the program directors gave opening speeches formally welcoming us to the summer school and introducing the tutors. Dinner began at 7 and did not finish until 9:30pm. It was quite a formal experience and I really enjoyed it. I've been to elegant dinners before, but the atmosphere here was so different. It was formal yet relaxed all at the same time.

After dinner I retired to my room to read and prepare for my classes the next day. So far Oxford is everything I've dreamed it to be and more. I've made a few girl friends so far, including the girl that lives in the room next to mine. I miss my family and friends terribly, but I also never want these three weeks to end. Hope you've enjoyed this novel of a blog post. Tomorrow I will write on my first two days of class.

2 comments:

  1. So well written! Felt like I was right there with you! Thanks for the cotillion credit! Yes, I will comment on every blog post. Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't get to wear the sorting hat.

    ReplyDelete